Thursday, January 17, 2013

Using Tech Tools in the Classroom







For the first blog post of the semester, please read the article, Integrating Technology with Integrated Resources*, located at http://www.edutopia.org/blog/free-tech-integration-resources. Describe in your blog post how you plan to use one of these strategies in your own classroom or learning context. 

If you are part of a 1:1 initiative, please read the article Four Free Assessment Apps for 1:1 Classrooms found at http://www.edutopia.org/blog/free-assessment-ipad-apps-monica-burns
Describe in your blog post how you plan to use one of these strategies to assess student learning in your classroom.


   *Please note the sources for grant funding at the section, "Funding Tech in Your Classroom".

20 comments:

  1. Our middle school is in its 2nd year of a 1:1 iPad initiative. So, I was very interested to read the article about four free assessment apps. In the article, Edmodo & Google Forms were mentioned as assessment apps that could be used in the classroom. I was very familiar with both of these tools. Google Forms is great for quick checks and responses from students. As the curriculum director, I use Google Forms often to collect information (PD feedback, assessment audit, new teacher meetings) from teachers. Just this past fall, we had many teachers express interest in using Edmodo, especially with the iPads. So, we set up training with our technology consultant. We now have many teachers integrating Edmodo into their contents. It has been exciting to see how the teachers have transformed their traditional assessments to more authentic and meaningful assessments. Are there others that have experiences with Edmodo or Google Forms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derek! its good to know that you use Google Forms utility for administrative purposes because article explains only teaching purposes.

      Delete
  2. Our district has been very fortunate over the years to have technology accessible to teachers and students. However, only our 6th and 7th graders have access at all times to a device (iPad). So, in reading the article, Integrating Technology with Limited Resources, I thought about our fourth and fifth graders and their limitations to access technology. With a few computers in the classrooms, I think blogging would be a great way to assess their understanding of a text. In particular, I could see students blogging daily about a text that was read to them or read independently. There are many blogging rubrics out on the web that teachers can use to support this assessment change. What do the rest of you think about assessing student blogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derek!
      Using technology by fourth graders is a good idea. I was thinking about their mental level at this age. I have no idea if the students will be able to understand technology use at this age. I think it is also one of the limitations that you mentioned in your post. I agree with you to assess students' analytical and critical writing skills through blogging.

      Delete
  3. We in our country don't have 1:1 program in schools. However, I have some idea about 1:1 programs in the schools of the United States. In my country, if these types of programs will be offered in the future I would like to assess student understanding through "socrative" and student behavior through "classDojo", because teachers are responsible for both i-e transmitting knowledge and shaping behavior of the learners. I just checked these tools and I found them very interesting and efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Transforming Learning with New Technologies (p. 7) identified key issues for technology –using teachers which are:
    • What is your readiness to integrate technology into teaching and learning in schools?
    • What are your reasons for wanting to use technology in your teaching?
    • What are your views that block teachers from using technology in their classes?
    • What are your plans for the types of technologies you will use in your classroom?
    • What are your goals for the kinds of teaching methods you plan to use in your classroom?
    • What is your knowledge of the technologies your students are using both inside and outside of the school?
    I am fortunate that our district has a technology initiative which is to integrate technology into teaching and learning in the classroom. This year professional development opportunities are provided during institute days and technology coaches have been hired for each school in the district. In our science department, we have two computer carts each containing 30 laptop computers. In Biology classes, my students use online interactive activities as well as practice tests to understand concepts like genetics, DNA replication, protein synthesis, and karyotypes in greater depth. These resources provide immediate feedback to students about their progress and explain the process in depth which provides a form of differentiated instruction. Students are able to work at their own pace and repeat the process as necessary until they master the concept(s). I believe technology helps support my students’ learning by engaging students in the learning process.
    Additionally, I plan to use student blogging in my classroom. For example, I will assign a topic on genetic testing. In addition to using their textbooks, students will be required to use internet search tools to find out additional information. Students are to research the topic, learn the information and to present the pros and cons of genetic testing. Each student is essentially becoming an “expert” on the material so that he/she can present valid information to their peers and to defend their position on genetic testing.
    The authors of Transforming Learning with New Technologies speak of the digital disconnect (p.23) that many students believe exist between them and their teachers. In my case, this digital disconnect does exist between me and my students. My children and my students are capable of using the internet, a variety of computers programs and software applications that I am unable to use. My children have instructed me on how to effectively use technology such as Excel, PowerPoint and Smart Board. In order to create engaging lesson plans, I need to find out what technologies my students are competent in and make sure that I know how to effectively use them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The article, Integrating Technology with Limited Resources introduced me to several ideas that I can take back to my fellow teachers now and, I can share with teachers in my building in the future.
    Some of the ideas brought up in the article are already being used within my building and even in my classroom. We have many primary teachers who already use a computer center in their room. I currently know of only one who actually uses a class wiki but, I do know of several others who, I am told, have time at a computer in their room for educational purposes.
    That being said, I have a feeling many still use their classroom computer mainly as "reward time" that ends up being used by students to play on-line games.
    In the current position I occupy I teach a technology heavy class which is computer based. One of the ideas that became very intriguing to me is to create student blogs. In the Paxton Patterson program, blogs would fit nicely into each module. I envision students leaving suggestions and alerts as to particular tasks that are required in each of the modules.
    For instance; in the module, Math in the Kitchen, there are several activities that require students to differentiate between measurements and ingredients. In one exercise for instance, students must use one teaspoon of baking SODA, while in another exercise, students are to use one tablespoon of baking POWDER. Anyone one who has mistaken teaspoons for tablespoons or baking soda for baking powder would know the differences are very important. A blog for this type of module could be used as a type of "trail blazing" for who previously went through the module to give forewarning or advise to those about to delve into an activity.
    The one part of the article that was most interesting to me however was, “Fund tech in your classroom”. My school district has had a great relationship with Caterpillar Inc in the past. Cat often updates their computers and as a result, Peoria Public Schools does become the benefactor of technology windfall. That being said, it seems that as technology becomes available to schools that very same technology quickly becomes outdated, at least at the upper levels of cutting-edge. The links provided are a great start to accessing additional funding avenues for technologies those corporations like Caterpillar cannot donate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Second time I have typed this after google switched me to my school email which doesn't work here... gotta love technology!)

    The idea that has resonated the most with me was the idea of a blog or online forum. Edublog and kidblogs were mentioned, but I actually have begun exploring edmodo since our last class. I think that this online space and its resemblance to facebook are key features that would make such a program useful for me.

    I would love to be able to share digitally with my students. Posting a video clip, a document, photo, speech, etc. and posing questions would be a great way to collaborate with my students and more importantly for my students to collaborate with each other.

    I remain concerned in my present situation because there are many students who do not have access to these resources at home. It would be tough to mandate collaborate or to assess students in such a way because there is no way that some students could do the job unless they have time within class or at school to do so.

    Additionally, the idea of digital citizenship is not one that my students would currently all grasp. The only time social media and my school come into contact with each other is when there is fighting, bullying, or threats being issued on facebook. This type of misuse would have to be discussed long before I could safely embark on such an endeavor. With no computer class or tech support at my school to do the job, it would fall to me to not only teach about citizenship in terms of civic participation and duty, but also in online communities as well.

    These types of programs and digital student interfaces are what engage and entertain children today. I have heard many teachers say that their jobs do not entail entertaining children. I disagree. Students who are entertained are by nature engaged. This engagement has to be more than just be fun and games. There has to be some rigor attached to it. But to engage students in ways that they enjoy and are familiar with seems to make perfect sense. After watching TED talks by creativity expert Sir Ken Robinson, I have realized that engaging children who live in the most sensory and socially stimulating period in human history takes effort that may not be understood by all. It's why filmstrips, overheads, textbooks, notes, and lectures are starting to go from tried and true to tired and trite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad, I agree that using blogs would be effective ways to have students interact with one another while using critical thinking skills. However, I too struggle with how to implement such measures knowing that the majority of my students do not have access to internet or computers at home. I often wonder how I can integrate these activities in my classroom during the school day, so that all students can have exposure to these opportunities.

      Delete
  7. Blog Post 1 401 Susan Jane Harper-Reneau
    As I sat down this afternoon to think about my first blog posting for 401, I turned on the TV with a remote that can work from anywhere in our home. When I was a child, I had to get up, walk to the big console TV, and physically turn a dial that clicked when it was turned to change the channels-technology.
    The show that instantly came on was and old show called ‘Murder She Wrote’ with Angela Lansbury. She and a detective were walking down a street discussing a crime. He was suave and handsome dressed in a glowing, white three piece suit. Ms. Lansbury had on a three piece pants suit in bright red. This triggered a memory of a piece I had read in a curriculum class last semester. The author described the duties of an American, woman teacher in the early 1900’s whose portfolio of technology probably consisted of chalk, erasers, and a wooden paddle. The story stated that the teacher could never be in the company of a man who wasn’t a relative, she had to get to school early enough to start the fire in a dirty old metal stove, and she taught grades one through eight in one room without indoor plumbing. She pumped water from a well outside the school and carried it in in a heavy bucket. Her classroom was lit with kerosene lanterns that she had to fill, clean, trim, and maintain. Technology for her probably included pencils, tablets, wide-lined paper, and a chalkboard. To succeed, she had to perform using many differentiated learning styles.
    I don’t think I could do what she did. I enjoy the technological products we have in our school. Did her students suffer? I don’t think so. There were many famous, inventors, educators, and business people who came from that generation. I want to believe that these previous teachers worked their hardest at creating nurturing, innovative learning centers. Their sacrifices led to me being able to use hardware and software not even contemplated then. That is a heave responsibility for me not to teach in the ‘same old, same old’ ways using technology. I should be prepared to teach creatively and in new ways so that children are interested in preparing the learning activities not in just getting good grades.
    Our textbook stated that 30 per cent of high school students do not graduate, mainly because of boredom with the traditional classroom productions. I don’t understand this so I try very hard tie in technology with curricular guidelines so that the students work because they want to and the district is satisfied with products that are acceptable.
    One of the ideas on our assigned Website was to create a cooperative story, which sounds a lot like a progressive dinner. To prep this activity, I would explain what a cooperative story is, creatively choose small groups that I know can work together, and do a mini-tutorial on how to use the publishing software, probably interative Google. Each student could pick a color to work in so that there would be less confusion in who was writing at the time. I’d like the groups to pick the topics, and then discuss manners on how to interact online. The culmination might be a published story on the school Website, class blog, or class online newsletter. In writing the lesson plans, it would be noted which Illinois guidelines are addressed, by number and letter and inclusion in the district technology plan.
    Students will tap into their higher order thinking skills and use media that they are comfortable with and enjoy. Because they chose the topic and format, the students will own the artifacts. The students will learn to work both independently and cooperatively to produce a technological writing sample that is meaningful. My job will be to use technology that my predecessors didn’t have to keep learning in the classroom fresh and magical, even in blue jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No longer being in the classroom on a full time basis is an adjustment I am still getting used to. One of my first tasks as an administrator is to create a district website serving as a resource to teachers and parents. The purpose of this site is to provide information to teachers regarding special education law, writing IEPs, RtI, and links to good sites regarding instruction. This site will also serve as a resource to parents in terms of law, safeguards, procedures, and links to good sites for working with and understanding their children. After reading the article, I am more interested in possibly incorporating some type of blogging post. I have yet to determine how this will be put in place or how I can best set it up to be effective and beneficial to users. I serve as a resource for teachers in the district and therefore am responsible for providing resources, ideas, and support. I will introduce some of the various strategies discussed in the article through weekly notes and emails I send to special education staff. I am also interested in reading more about the various ways to use technology for assessment and data collection. I have an interest in data collection and have created various tools to measure behavioral and academic performance. I know very little about Google forms, but am definitely interested in learning more after reading the brief description offered in the article. I am also interested in having an active role and exact understanding in regards to common core and special education – Google forms sounds like a useful resource.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I think whether technology is increasing skills of our kids in the schools or taking them to somewhere else?
    Talking in general Students write blogs, they use certain features like spelling check, grammar check etc. these facilities are making them technology addicted. What if they have to work without technology at some point? Will they be able to perform as efficient as they perform using technology? What if sometime they have to work without using internet? There are many consequences that technology is bringing in our educational and social systems.
    What do you think about this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been my concern when it comes to technology. Simple words such as their, they're, and their they do not know the differences. When it comes to more advanced work such as in mathematics I am all for technology assistance. Currently I feel as if students and society has become so addicted to using the technology to not pay attention to what they use and learn each day. The crutch is that the computer will remember it for them, or the phone will save the number in the caller ID. I know that I am just as guilty when it comes to tech, but I recently have been cutting back. I would rather become more of a person than dependent peripheral of my computer.

      Delete
  10. After reading the article, Integrating Technology with Integrated Resources, I began to reflect what type of technologies could be effectively used in my classroom. In the setting where I teach I am most interested in utilizing technology to help my students have more access to the curriculum being taught. Students in my classroom have severe deficits which limit how freely they are able to independently access curriculum. Web tools, like VoiceThread and Audacity, could be highly effective in my classroom. This year I have introduced program such as CoWriter and ReadOutLoud so that my students were able to express their thoughts and read text that was too difficult for them. Using Aduacity to record texts above my student’s oral reading level would allow students to access text appropriate to their comprehension level on their own. When students experience successful learning experiences independently they are more apt to develop meaningful connections to the text. As a teacher it is my responsibility to orchestrate such experiences and equip my students to progress independently when possible.
    In reading the first chapter of our text I began to reflect on how my own experiences with technology have impacted my willingness to implement technology in my classroom. I fell into the group that was willing to try to use technology but was hesitant to do so because the fear of failure. However, as an instructor I believe that it is my job to stay abreast on current technologies and ways they can be integrated in my classroom effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for getting to the party so late...I promised myself to post early this past week, but life gets in the way, right?

    None the less, I read the article from edutopia about the four free assessments you can use in a 1:1 situation. I must first start by saying how lucky I have been to be teaching a content area (Digital Media) that has placed me in a lab for the past four years. This has allowed me to work with content that is ever-evolving due to the pace of growth of students' 21st century skill set. Integrating technology is hard because technology is a "moving target" - once you master something...it seems outdated!

    None the less, I am proud to say that I currently use (and have used) Socrative, Google Forms, and Class Dojo in all of my Digital Media classes over the last two school years. They are wonderful ways to innovate my professional practice while engaging students (and parents). I used Edmodo last year, and I recommend its use, but I am lucky to work in a district that uses "Moodle" - a digital, online, class management system (think of Reggie Net).

    Even though I have familiarity with these tools, my goal this year is to implement Class Dojo into a weekly routine where students keep record of their "dojo points," as well as, their academic grade in my class. Furthermore, another goal I am working on is releasing the use of Google Forms from just me creating quick assessments for my students, to having the students create forms for each other. This also involves showing them how to analyze and get meaningful discussion from the collected data.

    These Web 2.0 tools (all free with an account) are wonderful ways to move assessment beyond paper and pencil. However, any engaging and proficient teacher should already understand that - technology or no technology - quality assessing hardly ever involves paper and pencil!

    ReplyDelete
  12. While I seldom add to the class blog, I want to include this article about using iPads in a pre-school classroom: http://www.prekinders.com/2012/08/ipads-in-the-preschool-classroom/

    It isn't about a student's chronological age; it's about what constellation of knowledge, skills, and dispositions they need to know and be able to demonstrate mastery with in order to be fully contributing members of the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Dr. Kristine Khesbol
      After reading this article I agree that age is not an important factor and technological tools come with greater flexibility to accommodate the needs of learners of any age. It is about the way we use technology and what tools we select for their learning experiences. Although the author of the article mentioned some limitations such as enlarge screens of ipads etc. I think these limitations are not a big deal as compared to the learning experiences and a teacher can overcome these limitations with some effort.
      From movies and my personal experience, now kids are no more dependent on their parents to listen stories rather they can use ipad and listen to the stories and poems. All the powerful tools mentioned in the article can be a way to engage children and get their attention in learning activities.

      Delete
  13. I read about the 1:1 student access to technology and wonder at times what sort of dream land this could be. I am fortunate or unfortunate depending on how you look at it to see varying levels of technology available to students and teachers alike at 3 different schools. One school has technology readily available for CAD, Math (special calculators), AG department, and english computer oriented classes and for teachers anything that could be available for them within reason. The 2nd school has it readily available for special education classes for the math essentials, and read 180 program. For the everyday student there are the CAD classes and 3 computer labs for business and english to share. The final school is lucky that teachers have computers that work and a semi-functioning lab.

    At the second school the math classes have tried to incorporate varying forms of math "clicker" type calculators to take tests and quizzes that are tied into the gradebook, but that is also dependent upon the network that is tempermental.

    When I think of 1:1 I know that technology should be incorporated into school and education, however the capabilities of rural schools seems to be limited by either the money available or the people who set up the networks, that later people have to come in and clean up the lowest bid they chose to go with.

    THere is a long rant here that I could have about the snowball effect in education that seems to be widespread in various areas of very differing schools, but the lack of consistency between one school to another is where it is hard to sometimes speak with other school colleagues when in reference to the resources they have available as opposed to other schools.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Much like Katy, I find myself constantly looking for ways to support our special education staff with the 1:1 integration as well as everyday uses of technology when providing services to students with IEP's.
    Most of my experience with technology within the classroom has been looked at as "assistive technology." How can we use technology to "level the playing field" for students with disabilities? As Andrea mentioned, we have programs which we have initiated as SOLO which include Co-Writer, Write Aloud, Draft Builder,etc which are all programs to "level the playing field" for our students with disabilities.
    I found the article about integration resources interesting and very "grounding" as a good reminder that technology does not have to be "ground breaking" in order to have it be an effective tool in the classroom. Teachers can use the PC that sits in their classroom to provide a multitude of tool for students, with and without disabilities, in order to educational experiences/learning opportunities to a new, more comprehensive level.
    I have the wonderful luxury of sharing an office with our Assistive Technology Coordinator for our district, Nora Bardi. She is a fabulous resource for our district as she has a wealth of knowledge on all of the "past" and "present" technology "tools" that have been developed to meet the needs of students with and without disabilities. Our district is currently undergoing a 1:1 initiative as Army has described. This is very exciting, however for special education it provides us some challenges. IF, and very possible, our district looks at a BYOD initiative at the high school level, this creates some unique needs/concerns for the special education department. For instance, we have specific assistive technology programs (Dragon Speak) that run only on PC devices. If a student chooses to use his/her Ipad or Ipod Touch as his/her BYOD, that device is not able to support those PC only programs. What now? Also, what about ALL of the students who are unable to "monetarily" BYOD? This is unfortunately includes a large number of our students with disabilities. These are all key ideas/concerns that Nora and I are going to bring attention to as we sit on the committee for the next "wave" of 1:1 integration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Edcanvas by a Digital Immigrant

    http://edcvs.co/146RocM

    ReplyDelete